mercredi 26 février 2014

DAY 2

Day 2 started with a meeting with Blessy, my personal coach during my stay in Delhi. I asked her if I could meet an historian of the Mantar or anybody who could tell me more about it. I also asked to meet some musician, Sitar and tabla player, but on a second thought I decided not to and meet electronic musicians instead. I really want to avoid the occidental cliché of India as a country of highly spirited people playing sitar. 

What I would like to know though is what was the music like in 1724 when Sawai Jay Singh build the observatories, I don't know if anybody can answer that, their is obviously no audio recording of the time and I don't know if the music was written and if we got some traces, or if the tradition goes so deep that you can ear it on the indian music of today, or if nobody knows, it really arouse my curiosity.

Thanks for your help Blessy !



The music studio is now set-up in my room. You can see that I put some inspiring decoration, the Mantar poster and a globe I intend to offer to the place as it will never fits in my suitcase. It helps me to visualize our moves in the galaxy. The fact that the earth is tilted of 23 degrees on is axis is really difficult to compute to me.



Day 2 saws my achievement of assessment 2 on this fantastic Mooc about astronomy 
https://www.open2study.com. I have alway been fascinated by starwatching but never took time to really learn about it. Thanks again Pro Helvetia, now I can go deep on the subject.  

A word about the weather : during day time the temperature is around 20 but it is cold at night and i have to confess that i quite enjoy it because i know what's in store for me in 2-3 weeks from now. The temperature will quickly rise to reach 40 in april and let me tell you that for a redhead northern guy like me it is the closest picture of Dante's inferno. Expect some complaint about it in the near future. That's why I intend to do all the tourist activities right now. 



5 commentaires:

Unknown a dit…

Bon séjour, bisous

0 a dit…
Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.
0 a dit…

Hi there,
To satisfy your curiosity on classical Indian music, I'm afraid at that period they already were playing sitar, here is a famous illustration here : http://www.allmusic.com/album/legacy-16th-18th-century-music-from-india-mw0000647182
Really happy to follow your adventures in India

POL a dit…

Thanks for the link. The truth is i love sitar i just wanted to be a little bit different but i am more than ready to process sitar sounds beyond recognition.

Who are you O ? blogger won't let me know nothing about you.

0 a dit…

One of your most fervent admirer, you'll know it when you'll download the full album I sent you through WeTransfer ;-))